Nous n'avons pas traduits les faits en français car nous sommes un peu paresseux. :)The name "Gattaca" is composed entirely of the letters used to label the nucleotide bases of DNA. The four nucleotide bases of DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) are adenine, thymine, cytosine, and guanine.
Public address announcements in the Gattaca Corporation headquarters building are in Esperanto, an artificial language invented in the 19th century.
The winding stairs in Jerome's apartment have the structure of a double helix, like DNA.
Uma Thurman's character is named Irene Cassini. Cassini is the surname of the 17th century French-Italian astronomer, Jean Dominique Cassini, who discovered the prominent gap in Saturn's main rings, as well as the icy moons, Iapetus, Dione, Rhea, and Tethys. The space mission in Gattaca is destined for Saturn.
A space probe is currently travelling towards Saturn's moon Titan. The probe is called Cassini.
Jude Law's character asks to be called by his middle name, Eugene. "Eugene" comes from the Greek for "well born," which Jerome is. "Eugenics" (the science of improving the hereditary qualities of a race or breed) is the central theme of the film.
The Gattaca building (interiors and exteriors) is, in reality, the Marin County Civic Center in San Rafael, CA. It was designed by American star architect Frank Lloyd Wright in 1957. The largest Wright design ever constructed, it was largely built after his death in 1959. The central dome (prominent in the roof-cleaning scene) contains the county library.
The FBI agents are called "Hoovers," a reference to legendary top-G-man J. Edgar Hoover, but also a clever reference to a vacuum cleaner brand. There are numerous shots of vacuums being used to gather DNA evidence.
The DVD contains deleted footage not included in the the theatrical release:
- The original version of the "Eight Day Center" scene. Here the doctor offers Vincent's parents the possibility to further enhance the future Anton, charging $5,000. This is refused by both of them;
- A briefing about the upcoming mission done by Director Josef. He is interrupted by Irene who tells him that the investigators wish to start their testing on all members of Gattaca;
- Detective Hugo exposes Anton to be Vincent's brother;
- Caesar tells Vincent to put the books away and accept his life;
- Shortly before Vincent leaves for Titan, he visits Caesar and gives him a telescope;
- A short sequence which shows some famous people who may had not been born if science had decrypted the human DNA sooner: Abraham Lincoln (Marfan Syndrome) Emily Dickinson (Manic Depression) Vincent van Gogh (Epilepsy) Albert Einstein (Dyslexia) John F. Kennedy (Addison's Disease) Rita Hayworth (Alzheimer's Disease) Ray Charles (Primary Glaucoma) Stephen Hawking (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) Jackie Joyner-Kersee (Asthma) The last sentence is: "Of course, the other birth that may never have taken place is your own";
- Also included is an outtake where Xander Berkeley drinks one of the "urine" samples.